Thursday, June 26, 2008

Swiss Mushroom Chicken-Posted by Natalie

This is one of Aaron's favorite dishes I've made. So tasty! He called me Betty Crocker after he saw what I did and that I made my own bread crumbs! (thanks Mom!) It's really easy, but impresses the men.

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 egg
1 C. crushed crackers or bread crumbs
3/4 tsp. salt (I wouldn't add the salt, I did and we both thought the bread crumbs were too salty)
1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 TB. butter or margarine
4 slices ham
4 slices Swiss cheese (my fav!)

Method:

  • Once thawed, flatten chicken to 1/4" thickness.
  • In shallow bowl, lightly beat one egg.
  • Combine cracker or bread crumbs and salt (no salt for me), in another shallow bowl.
  • Dip chicken in egg, then in crumbs. Place in greased 9x13" baking dish. Set aside.
  • *Tip-if you want to make your own bread crumbs, toast 2 pieces of bread ( I used the heels). I toasted them pretty dark, and scraped off any burnt parts. Break up bread and add to blender. After all blended, the toasted bread was beautiful, fluffy bread crumbs. *
  • In large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter. Top each chicken breast with slice of ham and sauted mushrooms.
  • Bake at 350' for 30-40 mins (until chicken temps at 170')
  • Remove from oven and top each piece of chicken with a slice of Swiss cheese.
  • Bake for about 2 more mins, until cheese is melted. YUMMY!!!

0 comments: