Thursday, May 1, 2008

Raspberry Freezer Jam

Another copy and paste from my blog. By way of explanation, Joseph and I go raspberry picking every summer at a farm near our house.

As a follow up to the adventures of Hansel and Gretel, I made raspberry jam with all the berries I picked in August. Now that we have a deep freezer on the back porch, I have room to make more things to go in the freezer.

I have to say this year's jam turned out exceptionally well. Funny thing, when you do the pectin right, the jam will set right--those funny recipes! I've also discoverd plastic freezer jam jars. Yes, multi-use plastice jars with screw on lids. They stack and are easy to fill. I think I'll make jam more often.

If Dil [my brother] thinks I'm sharing my raspberry jam with him, he can think again. This jam is too good to share--sorry little bro.

Here is my jam recipe:

3 C mashed raspberries (you can use the frozen kind from the store too!!)
5 1/4 C sugar
1 box sure-gel pectin prepared according to the box directions.

Method:
Mash the berries and add the sugar. Stir in sugar and allow it to dissolve, there might be small sugar crystals, and this is ok. Rest for 5-10 mins. Pour in prepared pectin mixture and stir till fully incorporated into the berries. Spoon into jars and allow to set 24 hours on the counter. This jam will freeze for a year, or can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 weeks, but it won't last that long--promise!

0 comments: