Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pumpkin Pie Cake

Again another cut and paste from my blog

When I was a Zoobie, I lived with a great girl named Sandy Cooper, or Cooperfart for short. I don't know why we called her Cooperfart, but we did. (I think she called me her crazy roomate and always had the state mental hospital on speed dial.) Sandy also drove a little Dodge Colt, I can't even explain what that car is because I think they only made it for one year in 1988. Anyway, we always drove around Provo in that thing like clowns in a clown car. Good times!

Sandy always used to make this dessert, called Pumpkin Pie Cake, which whenever she baked it attracted the waifs, un-washed masses and taterd refuse of our apartment complex and the greater BYU 31st ward.....it was GOOOOOD!

One year Sandy gave the the recipe for Christmas, I think that year she also gave me a noogie or a wedgie, or maybe a kick in the pants, I'm sure I deserved all three. But this recipe I've treasured the most. Of course I treasure it so much I write it on a post it note and loose it. So, after a request from Marie (my sister) to post this recipe and after Sandy's kindness in sending it to me AGAIN! I present, the best of all desserts, The Great Pumpkin--Pie Cake.

1 yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 C melted butter + 4 T soft butter
1 lb can of pumpkin**
1/2 C white sugar
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t salt
2/3 C evaporated milk



Combine and press into bottom of 9x13 cake pan:
1 yellow cake mix (reserve one cup for topping), 1 egg, ½ c. melted butter.

Mix together and pour over crust layer:
1 lb. can pumpkin, ½ c. sugar, 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon, ½ tsp. nutmeg, ½ tsp. salt, 2 beaten eggs, 2/3 c. canned evaporated milk.

For topping, combine using butter knives till crumbly & sprinkle over pumpkin layer:
1 cup cake mix, ½ tsp. cinnamon, ¼ c. sugar, 4 Tbsp. softened butter.

Bake at 350F for 50 mins. Check for doneness by inserting toothpick in center. Should come out clean.

(Note: To double recipe, use 2 lb. can pumpkin, full can of canned milk plus additional regular milk. Second cake will freeze well for later)

**Also, you will want to use canned pumpkin for this, even though I told you not to ever use that stuff. The water ratio will not be right with fresh pumpkin and it will be a soggy mess!

0 comments: