Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Bread Pudding and the Bread That is in It

**Before you read this, you should know I copied it right from my blog and I thought it was too funny not to inlude the story behind it so here you have a story, which you might, or might not find funny...too bad if you don't!

When I was little I thought I didn't like bread pudding. I guess that's because my only experience with bread pudding was seeing in on the King's Table Buffet, all old and smoldering under the heat lamps, overflowing with raisins. Not so much.

So yesterday I decided to overcome my fears and do something with the stale yet very expensive loaf of fancy bread in my bread basket. Bread pudding was my only option. And since I am a grown up (I know for some of you that is a laughable statement) and I and am the owner of several large appliances I figured I could make bread pudding as I thought I would like it....without raisins.

**(As an aside about raisins. When we were kids Grandma Pearl would always tell us that there were "raisins as a treat" in the lazy-susan. I could never get excited about this. To me raisins were punishment. And whoever said raisins are nature's chocolate chips was kidding themselves. Nature your chocolate chips suck! Really, it's the smell, the smell is just not doing it for me!!)

So I looked in my Better Homes and Gardens, cookbook and found a great recipe. You cannot go wrong with the checkerboard cookbook, you just can't, and now that I have my own, I don't have to be tempted to steal my mom's. Anyway, so when Joseph got home he asked, "What's this?" I told him bread pudding. "What's in it." I said, "bread", which he thought was hillarious!! "Ok, what else besides bread?" So here for you is the rest of the story:

Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce:

For the pudding:
4 cups approx dry bread cubes
4 beaten eggs
2 1/4 C milk
1/2 C sugar
1 t orange zest
1/3 C craisins
1/2 t cinnamon
1 t vanilla
1/3 C shredded coconut (optional)

Method: Cut the bread into cubes and place in a 350F oven for about 10 mins, stir once at the 5 min mark. Pull the bread out of the oven and mix the craisins in. In a bowl mix beaten eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, coconut and vanilla. Pour this over the bread and place back into the oven and bake for 40-45 mins. When a toothpick or knife comes out clean, it's done. Pull out of the oven and allow to cool for about 10 mins and pour sauce over the pudding.

For the Sauce:
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1 T cornstarch
1/4 C water
1/3 C half&half or evaporated milk
2 T light corn syrup
1 T butter
1/2 t vanilla

Method: In a heavy saucepan combine brown sugar, corn syrup and cornstarch that has been pre-mixed with the water. Mix and then add in milk and butter. Cook till bubbely, remember to stir constantly. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla. Pour the sauce over the pudding and serve warm.

Happy eating, if you can stop, which you can't till it's gone......oh, now I have to go and unbutton my pants!

0 comments: